Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Urbanism Superbowl

I’m not much of a football guy.  Baseball is more my speed.  The whole “Let’s take our best young athletes and kill them at an early age of brain injuries” thing just doesn’t work for me.

Nonetheless, it’s hard to ignore the Superbowl.  It was probably the only NFL game all season that I watched from kickoff to final play.  And it was particularly heartening to see that Indianapolis received great reviews as a new urbanist downtown.

If you read the comments, and I almost always do, you’ll see that the conversation moved to the question of whether the $600 million that the public contributed to the football stadium could have been better used.  It’s a good question on which I’m willing to chat.

But not today and not in a new urbanist blog.  Instead, I’ll just revel in thinking about all the folks who visited Indianapolis for the game and found how great it was to walk from hotel to restaurant to pre-game party to Superbowl without needing their cars.  It was a step (pun intended) in the right direction.
---
Administrative note: At the urging of several trusted advisors, I’ve begun using my Twitter account.  For now, I’m only using it to notify readers when a blog new post is published.  But, as my confidence in the medium grows, I’ll probably start tweeting and retweeting on other new urbanist matters.  Please follow me at @davealden53.

As always, your questions or comments will be appreciated.  Please comment below or email me.  And thanks for reading. - Dave Alden (davealden53@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment