Friday, March 30, 2012

April Fools’ Day

Urbanism doesn’t lend itself to full-out practical jokes. But it can have moments of whimsy. In honor of April Fools’ Day, I assembled some whimsical links I’ve found in my wanderings through current urbanist thought. Enjoy.

We’ll start with a video of a trackless roller coaster ride through Buenos Aires.

Next is a humorous, and reportedly successful, effort by the Swiss to reduce municipal littering.

Perhaps because of a long-held enjoyment of the work of composer Modest Mussorgsky, I’ve often dreamed of visiting Kiev. (Okay, I first came across “The Great Gate of Kiev” through Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, but good music is good music whether one enters through the front door or the annex.) This time lapse video of Kiev further whetted my appetite for seeing the city someday.

Lastly, my favorite is this artist who disguises himself in plain sight in large cities.

As always, your questions or comments will be appreciated. Please comment below or email me. And thanks for reading. - Dave Alden (davealden53@comcast.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment